Friday, April 19, 2013

Purple Moon (HM13)

Purple Moon
Half Moon 13
    Kat wakes up with a headache. She stumbles into the bathroom and eats several pills. When she makes it downstairs, she sees Cade making breakfast.
    "Good morning," He says.
    Kat growls at him before sitting down with her head in hands. "It feels like my head is going to split in two, for once can you not irritate me."
    Cade looks at her, concerned, "Are you going to be able to tutor?"
    "I have to. I'm the only one who's made any progress."
    He sighs before setting a plate in front of her. They sit in silence until the bell rings. Kat tries to put on a happy face and goes to open the door, and there stands Annice and a little boy.
    "Hello, Annice," Kat says, "Is this your son?"
    "Yes, say hello Michael."
    The boy grunts, and Kat laughs. Startled Michael looks at Kat for the first time. "I will take good care of him, don't worry."
    Annice looks at the boy obviously worried, "Are you sure you'll be okay, Katrina."
    Kat nods, "Cade is here to make sure I won't overexert myself."
    Annice leaves after hugging her son, and once the door is closed, Kat leads the boy to the study, "I'm assuming that you don't want to be here, Mr. Michael."
    The boy refuses to look at her while saying, "I would rather be with my friends then some old hag of a tutor."
    Kat laughs as Cade walks into the room, "Careful boy, my sister isn't a hag." The boy jumps and looks at him apologetically, but before he can say anything, Cade continues, "She's a witch."
    The boy looks at him confused, "You aren't mad."
    Cade winks, "No, as much as she pretends to be nice, my sister is really a fiendish woman."
    "Now brother, be nice we wouldn't want anything to happen in your sleep," Kat says with a smile.
    Cade laughs and leaves the room. The boy watches him leave with some despair.
    "Your mother says your not doing well in history."
    "Ya, it's so boring, and I don't understand why I have to know it," Michael grumbles.
    Kat smiles, "Well, how about I tell you a story of how the alterations came to be."
    He sighs, "I heard that a million times."
    "Not the way I tell it: Long ago two counties were at war. It lasted so long that people forgot what it was originally about, but they continued to fight anyway."
    "Why?" He asks pretending to not be interested.
    "Because both sides wanted to win, I suppose. But whatever the reason was, they continued to fight. Eventually once side created a bioweapon and launched it at the opposing side. They were in such a rush to defeat the other side that they didn't test it to see what kinds of effects it would have. When the bomb hit it killed all plants in its blast radius and any humans or animals that survived mutated and became creatures that hunted other humans. The two counties stopped fighting and agreed to help each other destroy the things they had caused. They named these beasts Alterations, and they created the hunters to stop them."
    The boy looked at her, awed, "Seriously?"
    Kat nods, "See if you tell it right history can sound pretty interesting."
    He nods vigorously, and Cade appears in the door, "His mom is here."
    Annice walks into the room, and Michael runs to his mom, "Can I come again, mom, please?"
    Annice looks at Kat shocked but says, "of course."
    Michael turns to Kat, "I'll bring my homework next time and some friends."
    Annice starts to protest but Kat waves away her comments, "I don't mind."
    They leave, and Cade turns to Kat, "And the seed has been planted."
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment