Monday, September 20, 2021

Rings

I've already posted this month, but I saw an ad for a smart ring and it reminded me of this piece that I did before. So I thought I would share since it's a short one.

-Rose B.

Rings

    I find David packing in out bedroom. Even though his ring should still tell him I'm right here, he tucks more shirts in the suitcase. I hold my hand to my chest but my ring remains cold to the touch. I didn't know why I expected anything different, for months now it may as well have been a piece of metal. David ignores the pulses of his ring, and closes the suitcase.

    "Davey?"

    He turns to me but his eyes remain cold, "What is it?"

    I clutch my hands tighter wishing some warmth would come through, "Please, can't we talk about this?"

    He grabs the suitcase from the bed and pushes past me, "We've already talked about this."

    I follow him into the hallway, "But Dav--"

    He doesn't even pause, "Alice. You can't stop me from leaving."

    "Do you feel nothing for me anymore?"

    He stops and puts the suitcase down in front of the door, "Your ring should answer that for you."

    "How can you be so cruel!? Can't you feel my pain!?"

    He sighs, "Can we continue this later?"

    He picks up his suitcase and walks out the front door. It gives a hard thunk as it closes, giving a sense of finality despite his words. Through the window I can see him get into a sleek convertible. He kisses the woman in the driver's seat and my ring changes from metal to warmth.

    As the car drives away, I feel him getting father away and the warmth fading. The ring turns back to ordinary metal and I collapse in front of the door. I clutch my right hand as tears drip on to my dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment