Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Eye of Worth 2

 Eye of Worth 2

    There was a moment of silence then the light turned green and she started laughing, "I feel sorry for anyone who tries to hide something from you. I'm glad you aren't a law abiding citizen and please don't get a career in law enforcement."

    I raised an eyebrow, "You want me to be a politician instead of a detective."

    "Yes," she answered.

    I didn't say anything but a smile spread across my face.

    "Wait, no. Don't be a politician or work for any of them. You being in politics gives me the chills."

    I entered the freeway, "I would love to continue this but we're getting off topic."

    "You just want to mess with me," Alice took a deep breath, "but fine this is indeed a business call. I need to borrow you."

    "I figured as much. Are you giving me the details now or later?"

    "You won't really need to do anything until tomorrow. So just focus on your class."

    The car went silent as Alice cut the connection. I rolled my eyes and turned on some music. It began to snow lightly and it stayed that way the rest of the drive. The parking lot had more cars in it than I expected making it harder than usual to find a spot. After parking I look around at the other cars and decide the school must be hosting an event. I grabbed my backpack out of the passenger seat before stepping out of the car. I hit another button on the key fob; the engine stopped and the car locked. I walked towards the building, in the parking spaces before the doors there was a car that was covered in a layer of snow. There were tire tracks leading to the parking spot so it was obvious that it had been there since the last snow fall.

    I opened the door to the building and stepped inside. There were two girls at the reception desk that usually remained unmanned. They were so focused on their conversation that they didn't see me walk past them.

    "I've never been so worried; Lily wouldn't just up and vanish like this," said the girl with a tight bun on her head.

    The other nervously tapped her false nails on the counter, "At least they're treating her as missing now. I've heard they can't get a hold of that boyfriend of hers."

    "The one that took her to all those parties she loved? You don't think he could be missing too."

 

 

⮘ Previous | Archive | Next ⮚

No comments:

Post a Comment