Thursday, January 4, 2024

Eye of Worth 1

 And I'm back! This is the only piece I wrote for a class not focused on creative writing, it was an odd class. This is the closest as I've ever tried to get to a SciFi piece.

              -Rose B.

Eye of Worth 1

    "I'm off, Bree!" I yelled as I stepped out the front door.

    "See you later," She said just before the door clicked shut.

    The screen on the porch blinked to life and warned me about icy roads before telling me to have a safe trip. I huddled deeper into my warm coat and moved off the front porch. The tree in the yard had already lost all its leaves, and the grass was buried under snow. Once I was close enough to my car I clicked a button on my key fob; my car unlocked and started up. I slid into the driver seat and was thankful that it wasn't snowing.

    I put the car into reverse and backed out of the driveway. I stopped just before I hit the street to let a car pass, and a cheerful voice greeted me through my speakers."Good morning, Tay."

    I sighed, not surprised but annoyed, "Alice, what would you have done if I caused a crash."

    "You would have been fine," she said as the car passed me, "you didn't even jump this time."

    I rolled my eyes and moved onto the road, "That's because you keep doing this. One of these days someone is going to notice."

    Alice snorted, "You insult my skills. The security people have their hands full looking at cars that send them problem signals. Your car thinks we're having a phone call so no reason to send a distress signal."

    I flipped on a turn signal, "Careful, there's a thin line between confidence and arrogance."

    She did have reason to be confident; Alice's skills as a hacker were top notch. She was known as the White Rabbit: a hacker who appeared from nowhere and vanished as if she had never been there. Alice never revealed her secrets but she once mentioned she liked the nickname because while hacking a system it acted a lot like wonderland.

    "Yes, I know. Those who are arrogant get sloppy and make mistakes."

    "So are you here today as Alice or the infamous White Rabbit."

    "Why would you think I'm here for business?"

    I stopped at a red light, "Because Alice has my number and it's far less dangerous to actually call me. Unless, of course, there is something you need to talk about that requires you to be untraceable."



 | Archive | Next ⮚

No comments:

Post a Comment